Sunday, March 1, 2009

Friscos fails to "Roll Out" a good BURGER.




Before I begin, I want to dedicate this post to my two friends, Sandy and Bone who became vegetarians after petting a cow at the county fair.

On Saturday afternoon, I went to Friscos on Los Coyotes Diagonal. I gathered up some of the usual suspects for this burger orgy. Present were Heatmeiser, Hotdog Jones, Gypsy Jeff, JB, Booger, T -Bag, and Merril the Man. I was somewhat excited to experience a burger joint fashioned after a 50's carhop with young attractive waitresses on roller skates. Further, Friscos claims to have some of the coldest beers in town. On its face, it seemed that Friscos offered the perfect trifecta of burger, beer and bun.

As I swung open the black doors, I felt as if I just entered Studio 54 minus the hairy chests, gold chains and cocaine. Instead of an authentic carhop, I was confronted with glossy black tile, pink neon and stripper poles. I did notice 2 girls dressed in pink skirts on roller skates lazily meandering through the place. However, both looked about as happy and enthused as an adolescent boy at a NAMBLA convention.

But all was not lost, I looked back and observed the temperature gauge on the beer tap. The ever fluctuating thermometer read 29.8 degrees. Great, I placed my beer order and grabbed the menu. Before I could get to the burger section, the beautiful bartender brought my icy beer to the table - on foot. I then combed the glossy pages and ordered the Classic Cheeseburger served with wedge cut fries for $8.95.

The burgers were cooked on a grill to the temperature of medium and served on a delicious egg bun. Burgers? Yes, thats right, Friscos serves their burgers two patty pucks to a bun and for good reason! Each burger was quite a pitiful specimen. It left me thinking of the immortal words of the grouchy geriatric in the old Wendy's commercials, "wheres the beef!" I laced into the burger and was immediately struck by the taste of raw red onions. The burgers lacked any real meaty taste. However, they were covered in a velvety cheddar cheese blanket and the shredded lettuce and tomato appeared fresh and were quite crunchy.

Just as the party ended for Studio 54, so to will it for Friscos. Absent the roller skating teens, sexy asian bartender and frosty cold brews, Friscos has little to offer the big game hamburger hunters.



1 comment:

  1. Can I place a request of burger critique from your experienced pallet? I'm sure you have a
    thicket of burgers to choke down but consider moving this place forward in your Franklin planner. Thirsty Isle on Carson. If it helps I hear the beers are poured at an even 29deg. I want to try it out but prefer the recommendation come from a pro. Your sacrifice for the masses does not go unappreciated.

    ReplyDelete