Sunday, March 8, 2009

I'm not Gay, but my BURGER might be...



I'm not gay, but my burger might be the only hamburger to be made at an openly gay bar & grill. Hamburger Mary's on Broadway and Alamitos offers burgers by day and transvestite cabaret by night.

Hamburger Mary's claims to be the ONLY national chain actively marketing to the Gay community.  So I thought to myself, what's better then hamburgers and homosexuals? The hunt was on!

I picked up my date Heatmeiser (a real life Clay Aiken look-alike) and planned on meating Dan the Man on location.  I proudly walked in and was instantly bombarded with red lights, red vinyl and pumping Cher music.  Heatmeiser and I grabbed a table and a beer and waited for Dan.  I suddenly heard my name called and turned around to see my friends Mr. and Mrs. Creepy "T" from F - Town.  Looks like I'm not the only one who enjoys burgers and Backstreet Boys.

I cruised the menu and was delighted by the diversity.  There was Kobe burgers, Buffalo burgers, Ostrich burgers, Wild Boar burgers and just straight cheeseburgers. I ordered the "Mary" burger, Heatmeiser and Dan fisted the Kobe and Creepy T gobbled the Buffalo.

I ordered my Mary medium rare with a thick slice of cheddar ($1.25 extra).  The burger was prepared with shredded lettuce, tomato, a 1/2 lb. quality patty and Mary's special sauce (I just hope Mary is not really a Larry). My meat saucer was served with a heaping pile of hand cut fries.   At first glance, this burger appeared to be the perfect civil union of meat, cheese and brioche bun.  

I ripped into my burger and was a little disappointed that it was overcooked and tasteless. While the burger's size was impressive, sometime size doesn't really matter.  Put simply, the burger could have used some salt and pepper. 

I hoped for more burger but what I got was more Mary.  If the burger was tastier it would have made the Christina Aguilera and Beyonce' music marathon more bearable. While I might recommend this place for all you bears, wolfs, otters, cubs, daddies, tops, bottoms, divas queens, size queens, drag kings, twinks and yestergays, I would tell the serious burger hunter to look else where.  I was GLAAD I swung by Hamburger Mary's, but would their burger bring me out of the closet for round two? Probably not.  

So the hunt continues, up next Thirsty Isle.




1 comment:

  1. I've heard that size ALWAYS matters at Hamburger Marys. At least that's what Turner told me

    ReplyDelete