Sunday, March 15, 2009

Thirsty for a Great BURGER?





Lets quickly get to it, Thirsty Isle serves a great burger!  The best in Long Beach?  Maybe,  at least the best so far...

Thirsty Isle, located on Carson Blvd in Lakewood Village is the quintessential burger joint. Offering 18 ice cold beers on tap, a large eating area full of aged wooden benches, pool tables, a juke box and a delicious inexpensive burger...Thirsty Isle could convert even the most hardcore PETA devotees. 

Along for the cruise to the Thirsty Isle was HM and a few special guests including;  Gita "the elephant", Slug and Chucky J.  We bellied up to the bar Saturday night and I ordered one of their famous 34 oz. schooners.  Served at approximately 28 degrees  its a  guarantee you wont leave the Isle thirsty.  

The crowd at the Isle included; crusty locals, frat guys and weekend golfers.  The bartender was an adorable red head who apparently has Thirsty Isle in the blood.  After another goliath brew and a few bags of shelled peanuts, I was ready for my burger baptism.  I asked the bartender for a menu and she pointed over to a hole in the wall with a menu posted above.  

I lurked over to the burger glory hole and ordered a 1/2 lb. cheeseburger and fries.  I had heard that the Isle's burgers were $2.00. However, I think I paid $5.oo.  Primed by the large beers and intoxicated by the smell of an open grill, I happily walked back to my bar stool and waited patiently for my burger. After 3 or 4 gulps from my beer, my burger was slid in front of me by chef Jose himself.  Apparently, the kitchen is run separately from the bar by Jose and his wife. All orders are "cash only" and that goes for the kitchen and the bar.

At first glance, I was impressed with the size and appearance of the burger.  The large 1/2 lb. patty was obviously hand formed just like the way my old man made them for summer backyard bbq's. The burger was cooked to medium and dressed with tomato, lettuce, pickle, white onion and thousand island.  It was tasty despite being cooked more than medium rare.  The patty pie was juicy and had a fresh taste.  The iceberg lettuce was extremely crunchy adding great texture to the burger.  The pickles and thousand island offered a sweet and sour kick that complimented the meat. Lastly, the fresh hand cut fries were piled high and seasoned to perfection.
 
If you are looking for a gourmet kobe burger with smoked gouda, watercress and truffles served with a side of pommes frites by a metrosexual waiter, keep driving! However,  if you are looking for a dive bar with super cold beer, blue collar decor and a super delicious no frills american burger, come in and quench your thirst at the Isle.

Next week, I will be looking to strike burger gold at the Prospector.

 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment